What could be healthier than beans and greens? Power bowls and detox bowls are all the rage. They’re basically a big bowl of goodness that always includes plenty of vegetables in bright colours. I like to make my detox bowls vegan to help pack them with fiber and for faster prep time. I’ve also kept this Black Bean Swiss Chard Detox Bowl lower in carbs and calories with zucchini noodles (aka zoodles).
In the spring and summer I make plenty of salads but as soon as it gets cold, I make power bowls with warm vegetables. Just a quick sauté of some kale or Swiss chard and you have a belly-warming meal.You need this delicious #vegan detox bowl - warm & ready in under 15 mins! http://bit.ly/2f7Rj64 @80twentyrule Click To Tweet
Time to enjoy this vegan bowl full of hearty goodness! Pick up some rainbow Swiss chard for extra colour and a mix of phytochemicals.
Health Benefits of Black Beans
- One cup of cooked black beans provides almost three times the molybdenum most people need in a day. Wondering what the heck molybdenum is? It’s a nutrient needed for many chemical reactions in the body and to turn fats and carbohydrates from food into energy.
Health Benefits of All Beans
- Including beans in your diet may help lower cholesterol and prevent cancer. Beans can also help with weight management as their high fibre content promotes feelings of fullness.
- Legumes are very inexpensive and a great source of protein! Protein helps your body to heal and build new tissues, muscle, skin and hair.
- Black beans, like other legumes, are rich in:
- Fibre, which helps lower cholesterol, control blood sugar levels, assists with weight loss by helping you feel full, and helps maintain regular bowel movements.
- B vitamins, which help to give you energy.
- Minerals like potassium and magnesium, which help regulate your blood pressure.
- Iron, which your body needs to make blood.
- Eating plant sources of iron with sources of vitamin C such as lime juice helps your body absorb iron better.
Health Benefits of Swiss Chard
- Swiss chard is rich in plant pigments called betalains that may help lower inflammation. Research suggests that these antioxidant compounds help support the liver in detoxifying the body.
- One cup of cooked Swiss chard provides all of the vitamin K and vitamin A you need in a day.
- Vitamin K plays a role in blood clotting and bone health
- Vitamin A is a powerful antioxidant that protects the eyes from macular degeneration (worsening eyesight due to aging).
- Swiss chard is also an excellent source of vitamin C, magnesium, manganese, potassium and iron. How’s that for packed with nutrients? Together, this nutrient profile means Swiss chard is great for bone health and heart health. Plus, the vitamin C helps your body absorb the iron better. I love nutrition #synergy!
Black Bean Swiss Chard Detox Bowl with Tahini Dressing
Ready for a delicious vegan meal you can feel good about? The best part … it only takes a few minutes to put together!